I'm Two!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, May 4, 2009

Surgery Day

I set my alarm for 4:30 to be ready to leave for the hospital by 5:20. Craven usually wakes up several times a night on a good night. He fell a sleep at 11:30 and I did not sleep well worried that he would wake up any minute and want his milk. Even though I got little sleep , luck was with me and he did not wake up until I got into the shower. Before I could get out of the shower he woke up and was wanting his milk "Milk , Milk, Please?" Once out of the shower I told him he could not have any milk and put him back into bed and turned on the TV. Every once in a while he would ask me again "Milk, Milk, and then Pleeease" and I would have to tell him no. Broke my heart. I am thankful that he did not have a break down about it though. Once Craven and I where dressed and everything was in the car off we went. He stayed awake up until we were put into a holding room. I got him changed into the gown (it had fishes on it) and then layed on the bed with him. He fell a sleep. I got out of the bed and put him in it and he still did not wake up. He stayed a sleep the whole time, the nurse told me later that he did not even wake up when they put him under. When they were taking him into surgery they asked me if he was giving anything b/c he was so out of it.
Surgery went very quick and he did great. The doctor said his tonsils were huge and wold have probably blocked his breathing if we would have waited until next year for surgery. They said they would get us when he wakes so he would not be afraid. They never came and got us. We were informed they were waiting on a room to be available. 2 hours. When I met them in the hall to go to the room, the nurse said he did great waking up, he just kept looking around, otherwise they would have gotten us. Randall left me to go to work while I was waiting on the room.
Once in the room they gave him oral Tylenol with codeine and IV morphine. Saying he hated getting the oral meds is an under statement. Oh he hated them. Anyway, after that he was ready to go bounce out of bed. When he got the oral pain meds he would scream and then I would have to hold him for 30 minutes while he cried and whimpered. Very sad:(
He could have the oral pain meds every 4 hours. Well they would wear off around 2 & 1/2 hours. I would sit holding him for 1 & 1/2 hours while he cried and whimpered. When he could have the meds, I would call the nurses station and sometime they not tell the nurse and it would be even longer before he got anything. I should have been better about it. I should have known that if they called the Doctor they could up the oral pain med dose. One time, I asked for pain meds and they said it was to early to give him his oral pain meds and I told them "Can't your give him something, he is in pain" , they said "oh yeah some morphine". That was around 10:30 that night. I thought all this time when the oral pain meds wore off he could have been getting other pain meds to help him. Why did I not know this!
He would drink a little water, tea and ate a little Popsicle, but they never offered him ice cream. Not sure why. I ordered it on his tray and he ate a little of that, plus he ate some of the chocolate cake I ordered for my self. This chocolate cake was awful and had chocolate syrup poured on top. Can I just say hospital food is not very good.
My friend Sarah came to see us around 7:00pm which was good b/c I had not left the room all day and couldn't b/c I had to stay with Craven. Randall had still not come back since that morning. When she got there I went to the car and got out the DVD's and suitcase. Let me tell you it took me 20 minutes to get to the car and back b/c I got lost leaving the room and then lost coming back to the room. Randall came about 7:30 and stayed until 9:30.
I was very tired and he only took a very short nap around 3:00 that afternoon. so I did not get any sleep. As the day wore on and we where heading to 10:00pm and later I kept falling a sleep. Very short naps (10 minutes at a time) Now you see, I was in bed with Craven b/c he wanted me to hold him a lot and there was room. He stayed a wake too. I fell apparently fell a sleep and woke up with blood all over me and Craven. Yes he pulled out his catheter. Thankfully he did not have to have another on put in. He finally fell a sleep at 4:00am or so and slept until 8:00am. The doctor came by and told us as long as he had wet diapers and been drinking he could go home. yeah! Well, they were no hurry to discharge us. I finally had to go and ask the nurse if she would make sure and give him another dose of meds before we leave. We got out around 11:45. Craven was wheeled out and he was very happy about leaving.
The hospital did not have a pharmacy and I was not going to go all the way to Smyrna to get his script filled, so I went to the nearest Walgreen's and had to wait 45 minutes.
Finally got home and around 1:00 and had a 1 & 1/2 hour wait before I could give Craven his next dose of meds. I had to hold him while he cried and whimpered the whole time. Then I had to fight him to give him the meds and then once again hold him b/c he was crying and whimpering from having the meds given. I felt so bad for him.
Since his meds kept wearing off early I called the doctor and they upped the dose, which worked much better, but the struggling to give the meds got worse. Randall and I would have to lay on him and put his arms behind his head, blow in his face, and force the meds in his mouth while he is kicking, screaming, fighting, spewing and not swallowing the meds. I mean we tried everything and yelling did not work either. I would be very stressed when we were done.
He still is in some pain, but not as much and hopefully it will be less tomorrow b/c we can't give meds. We have given up and if you go through what we have been you would be of the same mind.
I will add pictures later.

No comments:

Fire Station Fun 2009

Christmas Fun

Thanksgiving Fun!

Holloween Fun!

Pumpkin Fun!